Empowering Women Through Needle and Thread



Suman was an ordinary housewife, living with her husband Mohan and mother-in-law Madhuri in a small village in Uttar Pradesh. Mohan had been injured in a road accident a few years earlier, significantly limiting his mobility. The household expenses were met primarily by Madhuri's pension and Suman's small embroidery and sewing work.

Madhuri was a woman with a stern nature, but she was always worried about her family. Suman often opened her heart to her, but the household problems and the responsibility of caring for Mohan kept her suppressed.

One evening, Suman was sitting in the kitchen, calculating Mohan's medicines and household expenses. She felt that the monthly budget had become increasingly difficult. Just then, Madhuri softly knocked on the door.

"Suman, daughter, I need to talk to you about something important," Madhuri said in a serious tone.

Suman looked at her in surprise. "Yes, mother-in-law, what's the matter?"

Madhuri pulled a chair and sat down, saying, "I know it's no longer easy to manage the household expenses. I thought we should try something new. I want you to hone your sewing and embroidery skills and start some small work at home. I'll stay with you and help."

Suman was a little disbelieved. She said slowly, "Mother-in-law, I can try, but who will take care of Mohan? His medicines, his care... how will I go out?"

Madhuri smiled and said, "Daughter, I'm here. I'll take care of Mohan. But you also have to do something for yourself. If you become self-reliant, the family will be stronger."

For the first time, a glimmer of hope appeared in Suman's eyes. She spent the night thinking, remembering the designs she had created during her college days.

Suman told her mother-in-law the next day, "Mother-in-law, I want to start a small sewing business at home. But I want Mohan to help me with it. Even though he can't fully move, his advice and experience will be very useful to me."

Madhuri happily said, "Daughter, this is a great idea. Let's do it together, the three of us."

Suman converted a room in the house into a workshop. She gathered old clothes, cotton, and sewing machines.

Even while in bed, Mohan taught Suman accounting and how to reach customers. He showed Suman how to price her designs, how to take orders, and how to organize her work.

Small challenges...

The first month presented many difficulties. Some customers wouldn't pay on time, the machines would break down, and Suman often felt exhausted.  But she didn't give up. Madhuri always supported her, and Mohan kept encouraging her.

One day, a big order came—a boutique in the city asked Suman to make a hundred cotton kurtas. Suman realized this was an opportunity to get recognition for her hard work. She put the entire family to work. Madhuri cut the fabric, Mohan handled the accounting, and Suman took care of the sewing and designing.

Gradually, Suman's business began to grow. She began posting her designs on social media. She began receiving online orders. People in the village were also inspired by her work.

Within a year, Suman had grown her small business to such an extent that she even recruited some women from the village. By teaching them sewing and designing, she improved the financial situation of many families. Some women experienced the joy of earning their own living for the first time.

Mohan's health also gradually improved. He was able to get out of bed and share the work with Suman. 

Suman turned her business not just into a means of earning money, but into a platform for women's empowerment. Women in the village were now recognizing their talents. Suman combined traditional village art with modern design in her designs, making her clothes popular in cities as well.

Suman once said to her mother-in-law, "Mother-in-law, if you hadn't inspired me, I probably wouldn't have progressed this far."

Madhuri laughed and said, "Daughter, you had the real courage. I just showed you a path."

New Hopes...

Suman's name was no longer limited to her village. The demand for her designs reached cities and other states. Mohan and Madhuri proudly said, "Our daughter took charge of the home, gave the family a new direction, and set an example in society."

Suman learned that no matter the circumstances, if there is courage and confidence, no obstacle is too big.  He proved that true self-reliance and the support of family are the greatest blessings.

Read more : - A Woman's Dignity 

Post a Comment

0 Comments